Xanax S Parsons recently spent some time at a local elementary visiting all the classrooms from Pre-K thru Fifth Grade. She had a fantastic time meeting many new children and seeing quite a few familiar faces. As a therapy dog she is well equipped to help children and adults deal with a lot of the challenges that come with this time of year.
Yesterday, I got so depressed I spent entire day listening to Celine Dion records … Or that’s what I thought until I realized a cat had fallen in to the dryer.
I know a lot of people struggle with various states of depression this time of year. Do you know which state is most depressing?
Of course New York has it rough as well. For them the light at the end of the tunnel is always Jersey.
I want to offer up some suggestions for dealing with depression. Exercise, which can include everything from hitting the gym to chair yoga is a great way to stimulate some endorphines. Create social situations that involve getting out and/or seeing friends. Do enjoyable activities, I know for me that includes hanging out with my puppy, playing board games, and writing. Talk things through with others, whether that involves friends and family or a professional. Eat nutritious meals and remember to enjoy the occasional treat. Don’t spend too much time in the literal dark. You need to make an effort to get enough light which helps with your vitamin D levels and overall mood. Lastly, don’t underestimate the power of cuddling with a furry friend.
Another habit I have to boost my spirit is to listen to music that brings me a smile like the classic Don’t Worry Be Happy.
I’ve always listened to a lot of fun tunes. When I was a kid, I often listened to the Dr Demento show and have continued to look for peculiar and fun songs ever since.
Now to talk about what all we have coming up in the not too distant future:
- Friday, February 2nd, 6:30ish – 9PM, Board Game Night ~ This has long been a tradition to come in on a Friday and have fun playing games.
- Saturday, February 3rd, 1PM – 3PM, Tech Help ~ We are a handful of tech heads that like technology and would like to help you with your stuff. We can help with cell phone, tablet, and computer problems/questions. We can talk with you about the latest tech like streaming TV, home security, cyber security, etc. This is all done for free, you just need to come in and ask for help. We will also spend time talking about 3D printing since this is the first Saturday of the month.
- Saturday, February 3rd, 7PM – 8:30PM, Bereans Group ~ This group, which is open to the public, we always discuss tough theological questions. This Saturday we are looking at Acts 5 and discussing, “How much should we give?”.
- Tuesday, February 6th, 7PM – 8:30PM, Bible Study ~ We just finished studying the Book of Exodus and so this Tuesday will be a social night with board games and snack foods. This group is open to the public, so feel free to join us.
- Wednesday, February 15th, 5PM – 7PM, The Marvels ~ Carol Danvers (aka, Captain Marvel) powers’ become entangled with that of Jersey City super-fan Kamala Khan, and Carol’s estranged niece Captain Monica Rambeau. Together they have to fight the Kree and try to protect the Skrull and each other. I know that I appreciate the inclusion of the Beastie Boys in the movie soundtrack.
- Friday, February 23rd, 5ish – 9PM, Extra Long Board Game Night ~ This has long been a tradition to come in on a Friday and have fun playing games, and this particular Friday provides opportunity for those interested to come in early and play longer board games. I will be play testing an expansions I’ve been working on for Xia.
- Saturday, March 2nd, 11AM – Noon, Lego Contest ~ Elementary age kids can compete for free for the opportunity to win prizes. Fun will be had by all.
Ever since we started selling games last year, we’ve been promoting a different game in every newsletter. This time I decided to highlight a board game that also involves some running as you try to escape from various situations in Star Wars: Unlock!
This game contains three separate cooperative adventures. One as a member of the Rebel alliance that has to escape the ice planet of Hoth, the second you are a smuggler in the Outer Rim, and in the last you are an Imperial spy trying to infiltrate the holy city of Jedha.
You and your teams may need to engage their hyper-drives to get out of these situations.
Now for the part everyone always asks about, the actual food! Our sandwich is a ham and Swiss panini. Our soup is thick and hardy stew. Our specialty ice creams are Dark Chocolate Raspberry Truffle and Peanut Butter Twist.
Thanks and God bless