Employer: We need someone responsible for the job.
Me: Sir your search ends here! In my previous job whenever something went wrong, everybody said I was responsible.
So our up coming LEGO competition this weekend involves handing kids LEGO minifigures and having them create jobs for them. This made me think of some great moments in my own work history.
I remember when my boss at the hospital asked me how our disaster drill for Y2K went (in case the computers went down).
He didn’t seem pleased when I told him it took me twenty minutes to find a deck of cards and and shuffle them so I could still play solitaire.
Believe it or not, that same job eventually promoted me and I asked one of my subordinates, “Do you believe in life after death?”.
She looked at me, blinked several times and responded, “I’m not sure, as I’ve never seen that happen.”
I looked at her and smiled, “Remember when I gave you off last Friday for your Grandma’s funeral? Well, she just called me this morning.”
Now that I have my own business, I’ve had some great interactions with my employees. I won’t go into all the details as to what happened, but I ended up asking one of my employees, “Who is the stupid one, me or you?”
They carefully considered the question and told me, “Everyone knows you don’t hire stupid people.”
I should probably move on, before making myself look any worse, and tell you about the activities coming up in the not too distant future:
- Friday, January 5th, 6:30ish – 9PM, Board Game Night ~ This has long been a tradition to come in on a Friday and have fun playing games.
- Saturday, January 6th, 11AM – noon, LEGO Contest ~ This is our first competition of the new year. Elementary age kids can compete for free for the opportunity to win prizes. Fun will be had by all.
- Saturday, January 6th, 1PM – 3PM, Tech Help ~ We are a handful of tech heads that like technology and would like to help you with your stuff. We can help with cell phone, tablet, and computer problems/questions. We can talk with you about the latest tech like streaming TV, home security, cyber security, etc. This is all done for free, you just need to come in and ask for help. Be sure to bring in those new Christmas gadgets to show them off and/or ask for help. Since this is the first Saturday of the month, we will also have an extra emphasis on 3D printing.
- Saturday, January 6th, 7PM – 8:30PM, Bereans Group ~ This group, which is open to the public, we always discuss tough theological questions. This Saturday we are discussing the apocrypha.
- Tuesday, January 9th, 7PM – 8:30PM, Bible Study ~ We are studying the Book of Exodus. This group is open to the public, so feel free to join us.
- Friday, January 12th, 6:30ish – 9PM, Board Game Night ~ This has long been a tradition to come in on a Friday and have fun playing games.
- Wednesday, January 17th, 5PM – 7PM, LEGO Movie ~ An ordinary LEGO construction worker is recruited to join a quest to stop an evil tyrant from gluing the LEGO universe into eternal stasis.
Ever since we started selling games last year, we’ve promoting a different game in every newsletter. This time I want to mention a great family game, Ramen Fury, the use-your-noodle card game!
Rush to prepare and slurp up delicious bowls of ramen filled with tasty ingredients. Collect combos of cards to score for different recipes while adding garnishes to boost your points. At the same time, watch out as other players throw spicy chili peppers your way or swipe foods right from your bowls. It’s “take that” fun that will have you calling for takeout!
Now for the part everyone always asks about, the actual food! Our new Sandwich is a delicious tuna melt. Our soup is our loaded hash brown potato soup. Our specialty ice creams are White House Cherry and Salty Caramel Truffle.
Thanks and God bless