A small boy was staring at the names on the wall of an old church when the pastor noticed him. “What are you looking at?” asked the clergyman. “All those names. Who are they?” the boy asked. The pastor nodded, and said, “They are the reason we have Memorial Day. They are those who died in the service.” The little boy considered that, then asked quietly, “The 9 o’clock service or the 11 o’clock?”
This year marks the triumphant return of the Penn Hills Memorial Day Parade. We are in an excellent spot to watch the parade as it makes its way from St Bart’s to the new Municipal Building on Duff. The parade starts at 11:00 on Monday the 30th, but they will probably close the roads at least an hour in advance, so be sure to arrive early and enjoy some good company and amazing food. We’ll be making food on the grill including our nearly famous hamburgers, kielbasa, and all beef hot dogs. You can check out our order form in advance and start planning how you want to delight your taste buds.
You might be wondering ‘What could be better than a Lost and Found cookout?’ The answer is simple, two Lost and Found cookouts. June 4th is our sixth anniversary event. We have lots of activities coming up including a car cruise, kids activities, door prizes, and more! Stay tuned to see what else we have coming.
Let’s look at some of the other things we have coming up in the not too distant future:
- Friday, May 20th, 6:30ish – 9PM, Board Game Night ~ This has long been a tradition to come in on a Friday and have fun playing games.
- Saturday, May 21st, 1PM – 3PM, Computer User Group ~ We are looking forward to our second ever meeting. We are trying to gather a group of enthusiasts that enjoy various platforms and wouldn’t mind helping others with questions. Last week we helped someone with converting an SVG file they had created into a format that could be properly interpreted by a Cricut. We ended up using both Inkscape and GIMP to make it come out correctly for the Cricut software on her phone. We are already expecting to replace a hard drive on someone’s old laptop and install Linux on the new solid state drive. This does remind me of a joke I once read on a NASA mailing list. Q. Why do astronauts use Linux? A. Because you can’t open Windows in space.
- Saturday, May 21st, 7PM – 8:30 PM, Bereans Group ~ This group, which is open to the public, is discussing spiritual gifts.
- Tuesday, May 24th, 7 PM – 8:30 PM, Bible Study ~ We are continuing our study on the Gospel of John, please come and join us as we begin chapter five.
- Monday, May 30th, 10AM – 5PM, Memorial Day Cookout ~ We are getting ready for our first cookout of the Summer season. Our menu for the day is already available.
Now for the part everyone always asks about, the food! Our current sandwich is a Reuben, our current soup is our Italian Meatball Soup, and our current specialty ice creams are Banana Pudding and Cinnamon Bun. Missing our wrap already? We are actually making it a permanent part of our menu.
Thanks and God bless