Because it lost its contacts.
Some of you may have noticed that we are temporarily having some phone problems. We actually use VOIP phones which has specific requirements from our internet connection. Our internet service provider has, unfortunately, broken our phones. We are in the process of making some changes to get everything working correctly again, but it will like take till the 18th to complete. In the meantime we have all of our phone lines forwarded to just one cellphone. We are trying our best to respond to everyone as quickly as possible, and we appreciate everyone’s continued patience while we manage this process.
Of course even a challenge like this gives me the opportunity to share some deep thoughts I’ve had about phones recently.
Q. We really rely a lot on our phones and I was trying to figure out what invention was more important than the first telephone?
A. The second one.
I grew up in an era where everyone used telephone books to look up phone numbers and some names were very common. Do you know what everyone named “John Smith” in the telephone book has in common?
Sometimes I spend a lot of time surfing the internet to try and find jokes. Did you see the joke on Reddit about fixing the telephone pole?
It was a repost (you probably have to occasionally use social media to get that joke).
Besides our broken phones, I should probably tell you about our up coming Medicare event this weekend. Scott Corna is going to be here this Saturday to explain Medicare and answer questions. He can explain all the different ‘parts’ and how they kind of sort of work together. His presentation starts at noon and afterwards we will also talk about how we provide assistance to those that fall into the Medicare Gap (a.k.a., Donut Hole).
We are also getting ready to show a romcom this coming Wednesday called Knight and Day. You don’t have to be Tom Cruise Crazy to enjoy this film. Below is a trailer for the movie we are showing Wednesday, October 19th at 5PM.
Let’s look at what else we have coming up in the not too distant future.
- Friday, October 14th, 6:30ish – 9PM, Board Game Night ~ This has long been a tradition to come in on a Friday and have fun playing games.
- Saturday, October 15th, 12 noon – 9PM, Medicare Explained ~ Scott Corna will be coming in to explain Medicare, and Sean Parsons will follow-up with an explanation as to how can help those in the Medicare Gap.
- Saturday, October 15th, 1PM – 3PM, Old Men That Talk About Computers ~ This group meets every Saturday to help others with their tech problems and/or talk about trending technology. We have solved a lot of computer problems for various platforms and devices including embedded systems, and we have helped people with numerous software problems. We will be discussing where to get some affordable second hand computers and good use cases for Chromebooks, amongst other things.
- Saturday, October 15th, 7PM – 8:30PM, Bereans Group ~ This group, which is open to the public, is spending this evening discussing the challenging task of honoring your mother and your father.
- Tuesday, October 4th, 7PM – 8:30PM, Bible Study ~ We are continuing our study on the Gospel of John. We are finishing chapter 17 and beginning chapter 18.
- Wednesday, October 19th, 5PM – 7PM, Knight and Day ~ Come and join us for a free movie for the public to enjoy. Closed captions will be included.
- Saturday, November 5th, 11AM – 12:30PM, LEGO SNOT: Studs Not On Top ~ This competition is free to the public and will have kids from first through sixth grade utilizing their imagination as they compete for prizes.
- Monday, November 7th, 10AM – 12 noon, Flu Clinic ~ The Penn Hills Sr Center has asked us to give flu shots. We ask that any seniors that come should bring both their prescription insurance card and their Medicare card. Shannon will be the one administering the injections.
Now for the part everyone always asks about, the food! Our current soup is our nearly famous chicken tortilla soup, our current sandwich is kielbasa, and our specialty ice creams are currently Black Cherry and Graham Central Station. Also, while it last, our current specialty waffle is a cinnamon roll waffle but will be changing this week to pumpkin.
Thanks and God bless